Youth Service America and Sodexo: Take Hunger Personally
More than 16 million children live in food insecure homes, not always sure where their next meal will come from. That's why YSA and Sodexo Foundation are calling on young people to "take hunger personally" and join the fight to end childhood hunger.
$500 Grants to Help End Childhood Hunger in Your Community!
Sodexo Foundation Youth Grants of $500 grants are available for youth-led service projects that bring together young people, families, Sodexo employees and other community members to address childhood hunger. U.S. young people, ages 5-25, are eligible to apply. Projects will take place on or around Global Youth Service Day, April 26-28, 2013. Learn more and apply at: www.YSA.org/grants/sodexoyouth
Submit your application early to receive feedback! Submit your application by December 16th and YSA will preliminary review your application and give you feedback by January 4th.
Here are 10 Ways You Can Help End Childhood Hunger:
1. Find ways to put surplus food to better use.
2. Organize food drives or fundraisers.
3. Plant or spruce up a school or community garden.
4. Volunteer at a local food bank, pantry, shelter, or community kitchen.
5. Start or support a backpack feeding program.
6. Support and raise awareness of summer feeding programs.
7. Increase use of SNAP (formerly called food stamps) and/or Free and Reduced-Price School Meals programs.
8. Help teach families about healthy eating and cooking.
9. Raise public awareness of childhood hunger in your community.
10. Advocate for policies and programs that will help end childhood hunger in your community.
For additional details and examples of past GYSD projects, visit www.YSA.org/blog/2012/11/15/
Director of Outreach and Innovation
YSA (Youth Service America)
1101 15th Street, NW, Suite 200 | Washington, DC 20005
P: 202-296-2992 Ext. 125 | F: 202-296-4030